This entry includes a virtual tour! Take the tour.
Backstory and Context
Another cemetery had already been established by the early 1880s, but as the town began to grow, residents wanted it to be outside city limits and also away from the recently constructed train station. They thought the cemetery would be an unwelcome sight for visitors upon their arrival. The city agreed and established the present location for the cemetery and called it "Block 32" in 1884. In 1914 the city ended the use of the cemetery and it fell into disrepair. The Pioneer's Cemetery Association was founded in 1938 to help preserve the cemetery but it disbanded during World War II. It was not revived again until 1983.
Brevoort, Roger. "Smurthwaite House." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. May 17, 2001. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/226c918f-d186-42be-ba2f-fc357beea897.
Brown, Jodie. "Pioneer and Military Memorial Park." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. February 1, 2007. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/226c918f-d186-42be-ba2f-fc357beea897.
Homepage. Pioneer and Military Memorial Park, Phoenix, Arizona. Accessed March 15, 2017. http://www.azhistcemeteries.org/PMMP.htm.
Photos: Marine 69-71, via Wikimedia Commons