On August 21st, 1864, Confederate Gen. Jubal Early began moving his troops from near Bunker Hill towards Charles Town. Upon crossing into Jefferson County he encountered Union cavalry. Driving them east he struck Union infantry near Cameron’s Depot on the Winchester and Potomac Railroad.
At this point both sides drew up a line of defense. The Confederate line centered on “Richwood Hall,” the home of John Flagg. Early was supported on his left flank by cavalry brigades commanded Generals Bradley T. Johnson and H. B. Davidson. Early’s right was held by Gen. Fitzhugh Lee’s cavalry including Gen John McCausland. The Union line, commanded by Gen. Philip Sheridan, was centered on “Locust Hill” the home of John Packette.
“Severe skirmishing and cannonading took place at this point, and quite a number of Federals were killed and wounded in and around Mr. Packett’s House. The house of Mr. Packett to this day bears the evidence of the cannonading and musketry firing, a number of shells being lodged in the walls.”