Clio Logo
Entries on This Tour

This Tour is a Virtual Museum or Site Tour.

Fort Hill: National Historic Landmark

Created by Caroline Ross on October 21st 2018, 4:27:43 pm.
Description

This nineteenth-century plantation dwelling house was originally built in 1803, and today Fort Hill: National Historic Landmark stands at the heart of Clemson University’s main campus. Fort Hill was home to John C. Calhoun, South Carolina’s most prominent statesman of the era, his wife, Floride Colhoun Calhoun, and their seven surviving children. At Floride’s death, Fort Hill property passed to Anna Maria, the Calhouns’ older daughter, and the wife of Thomas Green Clemson. Anna’s will left Fort Hill to her husband, as long as he died with a will, and his will brought forth Clemson Agricultural College, now known as Clemson University. In accordance with Mr. Clemson’s will, Fort Hill remains preserved, restored, and open for the public. The future of Clemson University is “rooted in its past, born from a gift made when Thomas Green Clemson and his wife Anna Calhoun Clemson called Fort Hill their home. It was in this house that they dreamed of a high seminary of learning for South Carolina. What began as discussions between a husband and wife in this historic house has grown into one of the nation's leading public universities.” Fort Hill offers guided tours of the home Monday-Sunday and special tours for schools and other groups can be scheduled for groups of ten or larger by contacting Historic Properties. Our website hosts a variety of educational resources and other research materials on the home and the people connected to it. Check out our virtual tour made by SC ETV! (link below)


Share