Maryville High School Walking Tour
The old and current structures of Maryville High School and their history
This three story building was moved to this current location in 1927. It's original location was on the site of Fort Craig Elementary School. It has evolved from beginning as a 1-year institution in 1913, to a 2-year institution in 1915, to finally a 4-year institution leading to the official opening of the high school in 1917.
This is the current gymnasium at Maryville High School named after James C. Campbell. Campbell was a teacher and coach at the high school and also MJHS at one time.He also continued to broadcast games and was involved in the formation of the Blount County Hall of Fame after his retirement.
Maryville Tradition begins on the football field. Shields Stadium is the current football stadium at Maryville High School, named after Stanley Bernard "Skeeter" Shields (1967-1999). Shields attended Maryville High School, Maryville College, and graduated from U.T. He was the mayor of Maryville for 34 years and was named mayor of the year in 1979 by the Tennessee Municipal League. He also received Maryville College's distinguished service award in 1991.
This three-story brick structure was built in 1872 to train black teachers for rural and urban African-American schools located throughout eastern Tennessee. A majority of those trained at the institute were employed in eastern Tennessee, while others served the rest of the state. The Freedman's Institute was phased out and the building used for Maryville Polytechnic, and then Maryville High. In 1938 the building was razed and a new one built for Maryville High School on the opposite side of the campus.