Freedmen's Institue of Maryville, TN
Freedmen's Institute historic marker
Freedman's Institute Building constructed between 1872-74
Backstory and Context
Originally located in a log building nearby, the Freedmen's institute was organized in 1867 through the combined efforts of local Quakers (both Black and white), the Freedmen's Bureau and a local African-American newspaper, the Maryville Republican. The paper and the Quakers were the main funders of the Institute, while also leading fundraising efforts. A brick building was constructed between 1872-74.
Although the Institute would close down, for reasons unknown currently, in 1901, the building still played a role for the area both in terms of medicine and education.
Shortly after closing in 1901, smallpox came through the area of Maryville and the building was used as hospital for a couple years. From 1904-1926, the building then became Maryville Polytechnic, then Maryville High School from 1927-1938. Since then the building was abandoned and taken down. A marker designates its location.