Lucy Sullivan Walking Tour
A tour of sites connected to Lucy Sweet Sullivan, mayor of Baldwin City in 1889
Welcome to Sullivan Square, named for Lucy Sweet Sullivan, Baldwin City's first woman mayor in 1889. Lucy lived in a grand old house on this site, along with her husband and family, for most of her years in Baldwin City. The Sullivan house and property became a center for many social and civic activities in the community.
Lucy Sullivan, first female mayor of Baldwin City, was elected in 1889 along with an all female City Council. They worked to improve city roads and sidewalks during their time in office, including the construction of Women's Bridge. Civic improvement and beautification, and public safety were areas of emphasis for Lucy and her council.
Parmenter Hall's distinctive tower above its mansard roof makes this Baker University building easy to spot from Dearborn Street, tucked behind a modern campus building. Also known as Parmenter Memorial Hall, the building was constructed from 1865 to 1871. The building's claim to fame is that President Abraham Lincoln donated $100 toward its construction; this is supposedly the only such donation Lincoln made. On display on the second floor is the Baldwin State Bank ledger from President Lincoln's donation toward the construction of the building. Parmenter Hall was listed in the National Register in 1977. The second floor is now the campus art gallery.
Palmyra Post Office was a multi-functional building and a useful stop for travelers along the Santa Fe Trail. Also called Blood's Grocery, travelers could buy supplies here as well as mail a letter. The town of Palmyra predated Baldwin City by fifteen years, but eventually dwindled as growth shifted to the areas surrounding Baker University and the railway depot.
Oakwood Cemetery was founded in 1869 and is owned and maintained by the city of Baldwin City. Several notable local people have been buried here. They include Baker University's first president, Werter Renick Davis, and Reverend William Runyan, author of the hymn "Great is Thy Faithfulness." Lucy Sullivan and her husband John M. Sullivan are buried here, alongside other members of their family.