Chamber of Commerce Building
The Tacoma Chamber of Commerce opposed the violent removal of the Chinese from Tacoma. Their building, designed by Farrell & Darmer, was demolished in 1950. The lead architect Carl August Darmer designed a statue at the top, based on his wife. It was called the "Goddess of Commerce." The building was completed in late 1885, and the first meeting of the Chamber in its new building took place on January 1, 1886.
Backstory and Context
When the Chamber Building was demolished in 1950, the National Bank of Washington took its place. Not long after, the entire block was razed in 1967 as part of that era's urban renewal efforts. In 1970 the 289.5-ft 1201 Pacific Building was completed and it is safe to say that it will be around for a long time. Tacoma's tallest building was designed by the architecture firm of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM), known for having designed some of the world's tallest buildings.