A year after Marshall passed away and exactly 40 years after the Supreme Court’s decision, Governor Glendening signed an Executive Order establishing a commission to install a statue to commemorate the life and works of Thurgood Marshall. Upon completion of the project, the Commision on Artistic Property took over and is currently responsible for the preservation and conservation of the sculpture. The sculpture’s dedication was attended by Justice Marshall’s wife Cecilia and other members of his immediate family.
The 8-foot statue depicts Thurgood Marshall as a young lawyer with pillars behind him that read “Equal Justice Under Law”. In front of the statue are two benches. Seated at one of the benches are two children who represent Marshall’s most important case, Brown v. Board of Education. On the other bench seats Donald Murray who was denied admittance into the University of Maryland’s Law School. His case marked Marshall’s first important victory in his struggle for school integration that would culminate in the above-mentioned Brown v. Board of Education case. Interestingly, the spot on which the statue is situated is precisely where the Court of Appeals stood in 1935 when Marshall represented Murray in the Murray v. Pearson court case.