Thomas Sappington House
The Thomas Sappington House is one of the oldest brick structures in St. Louis County. Built in 1808 by slaves, it is named after its namesake, Thomas Sappington (1783-1843), whose family was one of the first to settle in the county. The house is a well-preserved and rare example of Federal-style architecture in the state. Given its association with Sappington and architecture, the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The house is part of a complex that features the research Library of Americana and Decorative Arts, and a restaurant. The site is owned and operated by the City of Crestwood.
"Sappington House Historical Site." City of Crestwood. Accessed June 24, 2019. https://www.cityofcrestwood.org/topic/index.php?topicid=117&structureid=15.
Photo: City of Crestwood