Historic Sappington House Property Tour
A tour of the Sappington property
The resting place of underground railroad pioneer Moses Dickson. After travelling the south and settling in the St. Louis area, he organized he Knights of Liberty who played a vital role in the Underground Railroad in St. Louis, MO. He was also an ordained minister.
The Thomas Sappington House is one of the oldest brick structures in St. Louis County. Built in 1808 by enslaved people, it is named after its namesake, Thomas Sappington (1783-1843), whose family was one of the first to settle in the county. The house is a well-preserved and rare example of Federal-style architecture in the state. Given its association with Sappington and architecture, the house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The house is part of a complex that features the research Library of Americana and Decorative Arts, and The Barn restaurant. The site is owned and maintained by the City of Crestwood, and the Sappington House Foundation, conservators for 55 years, operate the facility, with the exception of the restaurant.
Over the years the gardens at Sappington House have changed. Currently, there are 2 gardens surrounding the house. The first is the formal gardens with a brick walkway that wraps around the side of the house and into the back. The second is an herb garden towards the front of the house. In addition to these gardens, the property has several established trees.
It was suspected for years by the Sappington House Foundation that the current kitchen at Sappington House was not the only kitchen the Sappington's used. Archaeological digs during 2016 through 2019 confirmed this suspicion when they uncovered proof of the Summer Kitchen off to the left side of the house close to the current kitchen.
Over the years, the property of Thomas Sappington has evolved. The location of several barns and outbuildings has changed over time. A painting from early 1900 indicates that a barn was located where a pond is today. Additionally, there was a larger barn where the Barn Restaurant and Loft Gift Shop are now located.
The Library of Americana and Decorative Arts is located behind Sappington House and The Barn Restaurant. The library contains an extensive collection of books detailing Missouri and American history, antiques, and genealogy. Additionally, the library is home to some artifacts from the Sappington family as well as from the archaeological dig.
The Joseph Sappington Log House is a two-story log cabin built-in 1816. There are three rooms on the first floor, each room has its own chimney. The interior of these rooms has been restored and the logs are visible from the inside. Currently, the Sappington House Foundation is in negotiation with the city to be relocated to the same property as the Thomas Sappington House.
Sappington Family Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Missouri. This cemetery was originally a part of the vast plantation of John Sappington, father of Thomas Sappington. Within this cemetery rest the remains of pioneer settlers, servicemen, and the Sappington family. Sadly, some of the headstones have been lost to time, but many remain.