Rockton Tour site number 5
Original owner Talcott & Lyman. Original builder Thomas Farmer. Built in 1854. This is a Greek Revival building with a Stone construction. The building was erected in 1854 by State Senator Wait Talcott for use as a store and then as a grain storage facility. The pilasters in the front brickwork indicate Early Classical or Greek Revival style. On June 29, 1888 he presented it to the town for a library. His son, William, gave a sum of $2000 toward having the building remodeled. The present gabled roof replaced the original flat one in the renovation. Thomas Talcott, Wait's brother, gave $1100 worth of books to form the nucleus of the present Talcott Free library. A board and batten addition to the east of the library was added in 1969, with two other additions added in 1979 and 1993.