Downtown Rockton Historical Architecture Walking Tour
Old offices of Manley Sand/Martin Marrietta
Original owner Jacob Hyatt. First known as Hyatt's Tavern. Original builder John Hudson. Built in 1839. This is a Greek Revival building with a Frame construction. This was first a hotel, then residence and store
Original owner Dr. Harley Hooker. Built in 1840. This is a Greek Revival building with a Frame construction. Architecturally and historically significant. Dr. Hooker was Rockton's first physician, having arrived in 1839 from Hartford, CT. Dr. Hooker was a direct descendent of the Rev. Thomas Hooker, one of the founders of the colony of CT. Dr. Hooker had an extensive and successful practice and was widely known and greatly respected.
Original owner Charles Manning. Original builder Charles Manning. Built in 1854. This is a Greek Revival/Gothic Revival building with a Stone construction. Darihaus. Lil (Alexander) Nielsen lived there from 1955 to 1972 when her family rented it from Katie Wall. They had no shower or tub and took baths in a washtub in the kitchen. There was an oil burner. This building was erected around 1854 by Charles Manning, a saddler, and passed through several owners in a few years. This structure was used as a private residence for many years. There was a dirt floor basement and the stone part of the home was a living room on the main level with a bedroom avove. The back addition housed a kitchen and dining area with a bedroom and bath above. A front porch was added on and later removed. In 1984 the building became the DAIRYHAUS, a favorite spot for homemade ice cream.
Original owner Talcott & Lyman. Original builder Thomas Farmer. Built in 1854. This is a Greek Revival building with a Stone construction. The building was erected in 1854 by State Senator Wait Talcott for use as a store and then as a grain storage facility. The pilasters in the front brickwork indicate Early Classical or Greek Revival style. On June 29, 1888 he presented it to the town for a library. His son, William, gave a sum of $2000 toward having the building remodeled. The present gabled roof replaced the original flat one in the renovation. Thomas Talcott, Wait's brother, gave $1100 worth of books to form the nucleus of the present Talcott Free library. A board and batten addition to the east of the library was added in 1969, with two other additions added in 1979 and 1993.
Original owner Webb. Original builder James Grey. Built in 1852. This is a Greek Revival building with a Stone construction. Original purpose was a store. Over the years it has served as a millinery, telephone exchange, confectionery, and post office
This was the office of the Rockton Herald newspaper
Built in 1908. This building is a cinder block construction. This was the Masonic Lodge. Rooftop brickwork removed at some point
Built in 1845-1847. This is a Greek Revival building with a Stone construction. This building no longer exists. The New England House hotel was damaged by fire in Oct 1907. Torn down at a later date.