The house was bought by Silas Boxley Mason (1847-1911) and his wife Elizabeth Montgomery Mason (1851-1931) after they moved to Lewisburg in 1881. Mason was the son of C. R. Mason who's engineering abilities were utilized by General Robert E. Lee during the Civil War. He was known as the Napoleon of railroad contractors.
William H. Mason, one of Silas and Elizabeth's nine children became an engineer and inventor, apprenticed with Thomas A. Edison, and invented Masonite in 1924.
The house lay vacant and in disrepair for many years until it was restored recently by Florian and Margaret Schleiff and their children. It has been repurposed as apartments and offices.