This two-story brick house with a central passage way was probably built about 1875 for David Richard ("D. R.") Thomas (1845-1920) and Mary Ellen ("Ella") Thomas. Following his service in the Confederate Army, D. R. Thomas returned to Lewisburg where he owned a grocery store at the corner of Washington and Court Streets. From 1940 until 2006, the house was owned and occupied by the Bell family.
Bunn, Morgan. The People Of The Old Stone Cemetery: The Obituaries. Self-published, 2017.
Woods, Dayton Ruth. Greenbrier Pioneers and Their Homes. Charleston, WV: WV Publishing Company, 1942.