James Montgomery House
This Federal style house was built by John Dunn in 1845 for James and Ann Susan Montgomery. Historian Ruth Dayton Woods describes the house as " a cheerful two-story brick house, standing with the sun in its face at the northwest corner of Lee and Randolph streets." The interior of the earlier part has very good random-width floors as well as very attractive mantels. A two-room basement has a fireplace and dirt floors and is thought to have been a summer kitchen.
Backstory and Context
James Nelson Montgomery (1818-1886) was a real estate dealer, merchant, and bank teller. He was an active member of Old Stone Church and Clerk of Session for nearly forty years. He was the youngest son of John Montgomery, one of the founders of Augusta Academy in Lexington, VA, that later became Washington and Lee University. Ann Susan Montgomery (1825-1897), a native of Wheeling, WV, was active in the missionary program of Old Stone Presbyterian Church.
James Dunn, the builder was a local brick mason and contractor who built many of Lewisburg's fine early homes and the Greenbrier County Courthouse.
Dayton, Ruth. Greenbrier Pioneers and Their Homes. Charleston, WV: WV Publishing Company, 1942.