Clio Logo

Although the exact date is not known, the log part of this structure is one of the oldest constructions on North Lee Street. A cannon ball, most likely from the Civil War Battle of Lewisburg, was found in the front wall during restoration.


  • Thomas Pare House
  • Thomas H. Pare from Masonic Sketches, 1939.
  • Thos. H. Pare advertisement, 1908.

Thomas and Elizabeth Ann Warren Pare occupied this home in the early 1800s. Thomas Pare (1813-1882) learned the saddlery trade in Richmond, Virginia, and came to Lewisburg at age 20. Thomas, in partnership with Uriah Warren, formed Pare, Warren and Company.   In 1854 this company employed sixteen workers and manufactured annually about 600 saddles and forty sets of harness.  

Elizabeth Ann Pare (1871-1898) had eight children, 48 grandchildren and 31 great grandchildren.
 


Bunn, Morgan Donnally. The People of the Old Stone Cemetery: The Burials 1796-2010. Self-published, 2017.

Bunn, Morgan Donnally. The People of the Old Stone Cemetery: The Obituaries. Self-published, 2017.

Greenbrier Independent, April 23, 1908.

Rice, Otis K., A History of Greenbrier County. Lewisburg, WV: Greenbrier Historical Society, 1986.

Woods Dayton, Ruth. Greenbrier Pioneers and Their Homes. Charleston, WV: WV Publishing Company, 1942.