Bank of Carthage Building #2 (former), now Jasper County Sheriff Office, 231 South Main Street,
Looking to expand its banking facility in 1959, the Board of the Bank of Carthage (301 South Main Street) swapped properties with the heirs and owners of the Caffee Building located across the street to the north. The new Bank of Carthage facility was built in 1960 and featured limestone from Carthage Marble Corporation on its exterior facade and various foreign marbles on the interior that were supplied by Locarni Marble Company. Most notable on the building's southern facade along West Third Street are the round sculptures featuring coins from Carthage, Tunisia. This address is within the Carthage Courthouse Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.
Backstory and Context
Utter, Wade and Hansford, Michele. Image of America: Carthage Missouri 1940-1990. Charleston SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2013.