This Neighborhood of History tour features selected addresses on East 4th, Grant, East 3rd and South Main Streets that face the 1894-95 Jasper County Courthouse, the tour's starting point. The addresses featured here (along with the remaining buildings surrounding the courthouse and extending for a couple blocks) are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and citations to those nominations are cited as links in the Clio listings.
Most of the buildings or sites featured in this tour were selected because they were locations of objects displayed (whether manufactured, sold and/or used at a particular location) in the Powers Museum's 2017 exhibit focusing on businesses and industries of Carthage. It was the intent of the original project to create a vehicle that could show those objects as they related to physical locations that current residents and tourists can view by walking or driving by today.
The digital sites on this Clio app were originally created by a special grant project funded by the Missouri Humanities Council and the National Endowment for the Humanities in 2017-18 as part of the Powers Museum's observation of Carthage's 175th anniversary. Other addresses around the courthouse square may be added in the future by volunteers. Contact the Powers Museum for further information. www.powersmuseum.org