This weeping beech tree, once located in Weeping Beech Park, was the first weeping beech tree ever brought to the United States. It came to New York as a seedling from Belgium in 1847. It was planted in its current location by Samuel Browne Parsons. Parsons was a horticulturalists who aimed to further diversify the vegetation found in the United States.
In 1972, the tree was designated a New York City Landmark, protecting it as New York City expanded. Sadly, 26 years later, the tree died in 1998 of old age, making the tree 151 years old when it died. At its height, the tree stood 60 ft tall and had a canopy of branches and leaves that reached 80 ft in diameter.