Walking Tour of Queens - Flushing Neighborhood
This very short tour starts at the local museum and proceeds along Northern Boulevard to include historical buildings and other points of interest in the heart of the Flushing neighborhood.
Founded in 1968, the Queens Historical Society is the largest and most active organization of its kind in the borough. It preserves the economic, social, and political history of Queens. It offers outreach programs, lectures, panel discussions, and concerts during the year. The society is housed in the historic Kingsland Homestead which was built in 1774-1785 by merchant and farmer Charles Doughty.
The Kingsland Homestead, a New York City landmark, is located in Murray Hill, Queens. It was built by Charles Doughty in 1785 but later bought by Joseph King. After that, it was threatened by multiple harmful expansions leading it to become one of the first buildings in the City to be declared a landmark. After being moved in 1968, it now sits in its new neighborhood and was officially declared a museum in March of 1973.
The Weeping Beech Tree located in New York City is a type of European beech tree that was brought to the United States from Belgium and planted in 1847 by Samuel Browne Parsons. Parsons was a horticulturalists that lived in New York City. His son, Samuel Parsons Jr., later became the superintendent of New York City Parks. In 1998, the tree died of old age at the age of 151. At the time of its death, the tree was 60 ft tall with a canopy that stretched 80 ft across.
The John Bowne House in Queens, New York, is a historic home which is now the location of The Bowne Historical Society. It is one of the best examples of an Anglo-Dutch vernacular residence in the country. The house features 5,000 objects, documents, correspondences, and records of the Bowne family, who arrived in Boston from the Netherlands in 1649. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. It is also a New York City Landmark.
The Flushing Armory is located on Northern Boulevard in Flushing, New York. It was constructed between 1904 and 1905 to house the 17th Separate Company, a company founded in 1876. The Armory was designed by George Heins, who served as the State Architect in New York from 1899 to 1907. The military stopped using the building in the 1990s, and it became a homeless shelter for women. The Armory was also used as a gymnasium, but eventually, it was turned over to the NYPD's Queens North Task Force. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
Flushing Town Hall is a historic town hall located in Flushing, Queens. Originally established in 1645 to serve as the seat of the government of Flushing, it now serves to engage and educate people about Queens by holding global art events.Today, the building houses the Flushing Council on Culture and the Arts (FCCA). It was built in 1862 as a 2-story, brick building with a basement and attic.
The Old Quaker Meeting House, also known as the Friend's Meeting House, is located on the Northern Boulevard in Queens County, New York. Adjacent to the Old Quaker Meeting House is a graveyard that is the resting place for prominent citizens of the Long Island History. Built in 1694, the site has since become the oldest house of worship in the state of New York. Even today, people are still welcome to attend the weekly events open to everyone.
The RKO Keith's Theatre opened on Christmas in 1928 as the Keith-Albee Theatre. It was designed by Thomas Lamb, an architect who worked on other theaters in New York. The theater was built in a Spanish Baroque Revival style, which included a grand foyer with dual staircases. Built during the Silent Film Era, the first show at the theater was "Three Week Ends." The theater was closed in 1986 when it was supposed to be replaced with a mall. However, local residents spoke out against the demolition, and it was halted by the city. The theater has been neglected since then.