American labor leader and Presidential candidate Eugene V. Debs and his wife, Kate, built the two-story frame house in 1890. After Debs' death, the house would see different owners. One was a professor at Indiana State University. It was used as the Theta Chi fraternity house from 1948–1961, and briefly was let as apartments. In 1962 the home was bought by the Eugene V. Debs Foundation, which continues to own the house.