Elmer Norrington was born in Parkville, Missouri on February 11, 1898, and entered Park College in 1916. He was an active member of the Alumni Association and served on many councils raising money for the needs of the college. In 1956 he was selected as a member of the Board of Trustees and served for several terms and eventually was chosen as the chairman of the board. Norrington retired from the Board of Trustees in 1981 after serving for twenty years, but continued to give to Park until his death in 1983. As a last gift to the College, Elmer and his wife Rubye left $2.5 million to the college in an endowment fund. The official dedication of the Norrington Center was held on October 15, 1988, as part of the fall meeting of the Board of Trustees.