In 1901, Dr. Roger Williams opened one the first drugstores operated by an African American at this location. He was also the second African American to practice medicine in Mobile. Born on a sugar plantation, Dr. Williams studied medicine at the Meharry Medical School and graduated in 1900. He was a prominent figure in the city, serving in medical and civic associations, and was General Chairman of the Mobile Emancipation Association. The marker was erected by the African-American Heritage Trail of Mobile.