St. Mary's Assumption Church
Located across the street from another historical landmark, St. Alphonsus Church, St. Mary's Assumption Church is one of the finest churches in New Orleans and Louisiana. It was built in 1860 in the Baroque style, featuring a large tower, ornamental exterior brickwork, and a baroque interior that includes fine wood carvings. The church was one of three (the other two were St. Alphonsus and Notre Dame de Bon Secours) that comprised the once thriving St. Alphonsus Parish, which was also called the "ecclesiastical square during its heyday. All three churches were built by the Redemptorists (a Catholic order) to serve the growing Catholic population in the 1840s and 1850s. St. Mary's primarily served the German community; St. Alphonsus served the Irish community and Bon Secours served the French community. St. Mary's continues to serve as an active church. St. Alphonsus is now a cultural center and Bon Secour was dismantled some time ago. St. Mary's is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark.
Backstory and Context
Goeldner, Paul. "St. Mary's Assumption Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places. August 12, 1971. https://focus.nps.gov/GetAsset?assetID=6b26685a-5e38-4c99-aa4b-e8642f6e523a.
"History." Seelos Shrine. Accessed December 21, 2016. http://www.seelos.org/shrineAssumption1.html.