Hattiesburg Federal Building
Hattiesburg Federal Building, 2011
Backstory and Context
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973, this former U.S. Post Office and Courthouse was completed in 1910 under supervising architect James Knox Taylor. The first federal building in Forrest County, Mississippi, the Neoclassical building was originally designed as a post office. After postal services were relocated in 1933, the building accommodated the area offices of various federal agencies including the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U. S. Treasury Department's alcohol control division. After the creation of the Southern District in 1936, the offices of the Clerk of the U. S. District Court were also housed in the building and the structure was re-purposed as a courthouse in 1939. The changes in use required several interior design changes plus an addition, all under supervising architect Louis A. Simon. The building was used by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi until 1974. The property was transferred to Forrest County through the Historic Surplus Property Program in 1976 and has since housed its county and youth courts.
National Register Nomination: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/nom/prop/6319.pdf