One of the newest additions to Columbus, this park was completed in 2009 and is home to the Columbus Clippers, the Triple-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. Prior to this time, the Clippers played at Cooper Stadium in the suburb of Franklinton, which was built in 1931 to host the Columbus Red Birds, a minor-league affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals.
Huntington Park was completed in 2009.
Backstory and Context
Cooper Stadium was home to several minor league teams between 1931 and 2008. The Columbus Red Birds called Cooper Stadium home from 1931 to 1954. The Columbus Jets played at Cooper Stadium from 1955 to 1970. Columbus was without a minor-league affiliate from 1970 to 1977, when the Columbus Clippers came to town. The Columbus Blue Birds of the Negro Leagues also played their home games at Cooper Stadium from their founding in 1931 to 1954, when the Major Leagues and Minor Leagues of Northern cities began to integrate.