Founded in 1968, the Queens Historical Society is the largest and most active organization of its kind in the borough. It preserves the economic, social, and political history of Queens. It offers outreach programs, lectures, panel discussions, and concerts during the year. The society is housed in the historic Kingsland Homestead which was built in 1774-1785 by merchant and farmer Charles Doughty.
Kingsland Homestead is one of the earliest examples remaining of the Long Island half house which were once common on the island. Doughty's descendants would live in the house until 1937 when it was sold to another family. The house had since been moved to make way for a new apartment building. In 1968, the house was moved to its current location in Weeping Beech Tree Park and underwent a few years of restoration. The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.