The Philippi Covered Bridge is located on the Tygart Valley River. The bridge is a national landmark and piece of history in the town of Philippi, West Virginia. The Philippi Covered Bridge is the oldest and longest covered bridge in West Virginia and one of only two remaining in Barbour County. It is also the only covered bridge serving the US Federal Highway system. It was later placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.


  • Image of the bridge
    Image of the bridge

Completed in 1852 by builder Henry Hartley at a cost of just over twelve thousand dollars, the double-barreled 286-foot Long truss continued to serve US 250 traffic through floods and other natural disasters. On September 16, 1991, two years and seven months after a fire nearly destroyed it, the Philippi Covered Bridge was returned to service when then Governor Gaston Caperton cut the ribbon officially reopening West Virginia’s premier wooden structure.

The successful return of the historic span to its original appearance—work that set standards for future renovation of the state’s remaining covered bridges—was the result of a cooperative effort involving the governor, the Division of Highways, West Virginia University, foresters, and local restoration fund-raising groups. A supporter of historic preservation, Caperton brought the president of the Senate, the Speaker of the House, and other state officials to the site almost immediately after the fire to win their support as part of an effort to rebuild the bridge. 

Editor. "Philippi Covered Bridge." Randolph County Convention & Visitors Bureau. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 May 2017
"Philippi Covered Bridge." Civil War Trust. Civil War Trust, n.d. Web.