Covered Bridges of West Virginia
This tour takes users to each of the historic covered bridges of West Virginia. New entries are being added by local historians and added to this tour.
Constructed in 1856, the historic Carrollton Covered Bridge crosses the Buckhannon River in Barbour County, West Virginia. The original bridge was built in 1856 and has been restored following the actions of arsonists in 2017. The bridge is the second longest covered bridge in the state of West Virginia. On June 4, 1981, the bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Philippi Covered Bridge is located on the Tygart Valley River. The bridge is a national landmark and piece of history in the town of Philippi, West Virginia. The Philippi Covered Bridge is the oldest and longest covered bridge in West Virginia and one of only two remaining in Barbour County. It is also the only covered bridge serving the US Federal Highway system. It was later placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
The Simpson Creek Covered Bridge is located in Bridgeport, West Virginia. It can be found off of Meadowbrook Road near the entrance of the beloved Meadowbrook Mall. The structure stands 14.25-foot-wide (4.34 m) and 75-foot-long (23 m). It is known for being a multiple-king truss bridge, which was built by Asa Hugill in 1881. The current location of the bridge is not the original spot it first was. After being washed out by a flood in 1889, it was decided that is be relocated half a mile upstream where it resides to this day.
The Barrackville Covered Bridge is one of two surviving covered bridges built by West Virginia bridge architect Lemuel Chenoweth. It was originally built in 1853 as part of the Fairmont-Wheeling Turnpike, and was one of several bridges that Chenoweth was commissioned to build on the route. The 145-foot timber bridge was constructed across the Buffalo Creek to facilitate the transportation of commercial goods. It was built using the Burr arch truss style, a design popular in the east at the time. The Barrackville Bridge was notably one of the few covered bridges in West Virginia to survive the Civil War. It continued to operate until the 1980s when it was replaced by a modern highway bridge nearby. The bridge underwent a full restoration in 1998-1999 and is open to pedestrian traffic today. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
The Dents Covered Bridge is located in Monongalia County, West Virginia. It is the only covered bridge left in Monongalia County. Many people believe that this is the second most beautiful bridge in the state, coming in second to the New River Gorge Bridge. The Dents Run Covered Bridge is a tourist bridge as it can not stand the weight of traffic.
The Fish Creek Covered Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. It is the last remaining covered brigde in Wetzel County and only one of two remaining single kingpost truss bridges in West Virginia. The bridge is owned by the West Virginia Department of Highways and is still in operation.
Being one of only seventeen covered bridges still in West Virginia, the Center Point Covered Bridge has seen high volumes of traffic in such a rural area. Built in 1889, by local men, the bridge was built to span over the Middle Fork of McElroy Creek in Center Point. This style of bridge, using timber trusses, gave way to the idea of making metal trusses which later became a staple for bridges to come.
What once was to be oldest covered bridge still standing at the time in the state of West Virginia and later destroyed by a tragic event that forever changed the history of a small town, the old West Union Covered Bridge was a local landmark of a town that forever changes with the needs of its community. Creating a passageway over Middle Island Creek, the longest creek in West Union, and giving the community access to the newly developed roads and routes being built around that time, the bridge saw and allowed the town to progress.
Sarvis Fork Covered Bridge is located in the vicinity of Sandyville in Jackson County, West Virginia.
The Staats Mill Covered Bridge, originally known as the Tug Fork Bridge, is located in Jackson County, West Virginia. The bridge is part of Cedar Lakes, a park owned and operated by the West Virginia Board of Education. The bridge is a unique piece of architecture typical of small bridge construction that was prominent in the late nineteenth century. The bridge was originally built at the Tug Fork of Big Mill Creek, also located in Jackson County. The bridge was built in 1887 for the price of $1,788.35. Local people, including well-known local builder H.T. Hartley, were contracted by the Jackson County Court to complete the bridge. In 1983, the 97-foot bridge was moved three miles to its present location at Cedar Lakes at a cost $104,000.
The Mud River Covered Bridge in Milton is one of seventeen surviving covered bridges in West Virginia. It is also the last Howe truss style covered bridge in the state. The fourteen-foot wide, 112-foot long structure was built over the Mud River around 1876 to accommodate increased traffic and commerce in the community. The bridge underwent few changes until a restoration project by the West Virginia Department of Transportation in 1971. In 2001 the bridge was moved to its current location on a pond in Pumpkin Park, the annual host of both the West Virginia Pumpkin Festival and the Cabell County Fair. The covered bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
A 2 lane Covered Bridge (Burnt 1861) was built across Coal River in 1831 along the James River and Kanawha Turnpike by The Teays and Thompson families and burnt by retreating Confederates in 1861 after the Battle of Scary Creek.
Built in 1910, a time before the first Great War, the Laurel Creek Covered Bridge is the shortest covered bridge in West Virginia. It is 34 feet long and 13 feet wide. The covered bridge was built with stone abutments by Lewis Miller and superstructure by Robert Arnott. The bridge cost $365 to build. The covered bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 4, 1981.
The Indian Creek Covered Bridge has been preserved thanks to the Monroe County Historical Society. The single-span bridge was built in 1898 using a modified Howe Truss structure by Ray and Oscar Weikel. The bridge 11 and 1/2 feet wide and nearly fifty feet long. The bridge is thought to be one of the most photographed bridges in the state of West Virginia and is one of only six covered bridges in the state that are still in use.