The Brandeis House
The Brandeis House is the last stop on the trail. The house was originally built about 1800 and renovated many times over the years. Louis D. Brandeis, then a Boston lawyer, bought this home in 1900. He was appointed to the United States Supreme Court in 1916. Realizing that the Sacco family had limited means, Justice Brandeis allowed Sacco’s wife and daughter stay in his house during the trial. This act of kindness shows how many people felt for the plight of Sacco and Vanzetti and their families. After the trial, Justice Brandeis received a last-minute clemency petition from the defendants’ lawyers. He had to recuse himself because of his wife’s support for the defense committee.