Since its construction in 1914, Jeter Hall has survived fires, a bombing, multiple renovations, and over a century of university life. It was one of the original buildings on the University of Richmond’s current campus and was constructed as one of two male residence halls. The building was originally called Dormitory One but became Jeter Hall in 1916. Its namesake, Jeremiah Bell Jeter, was one of the university’s founders and served as a trustee at Richmond College, the university’s college for men. With five sections divided between four floors and a basement, Jeter originally was able to house about 130 students.
Following the decision to move Richmond College from the downtown area to its present location, Ralph Adams Cram, architect for Princeton and other campuses, came to Virginia to design the University of Richmond’s new campus. Designed in 1912 and opened as one fo the first buildings on the new campus, Ryland Hall features the collegiate gothic style which has become a signature of the University. This style of architecture is demonstrated by Ryland Hall's towers, buttresses, arched doorways, dark oak paneling, and vaulted ceilings.