Zion Cemetery and Baynard Mausoleum
The Chapel of Ease was built around 1786 on Hilton Head Island. It was constructed under the direction of Isaac Fripp and Captain John Stoney and dedicated in 1833. The communion service was imported into the church from London in 1834. In 1868 the church was abandoned and destroyed.
Zion Cemetery, along with the Baynard Mausoleum that was built in 1846 now marks the location of the Chapel of Ease.1 William Eddings Baynard built the Baynard Mausoleum through inheritance and purchase. He was one of the island’s biggest landowners. Baynard held many plantations throughout Hilton Head.
Baynard’s family made the large mansion, formerly owned by Captain John Stoney, their home. Following the invasion of Hilton Head at the beginning of the Civil War, the mausoleum was broken into and vandalized by grave robbers. The vault remains empty today.2
Sources1) "Zion Chapel of Ease And Cemetery." Heritage Library Foundation. Accessed August 16, 2015. http://www.heritagelib.org/historic-sites/zion-chapel-of-ease-and-cemetery.
2) Hunt, Aaron D. "The Baynard Mausoleum, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina." Trover. Accessed August 16, 2015. http://www.trover.com/d/VoVD-the-baynard-mausoleum-hilton-head-island-south-carolina.
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
This entry has been viewed 237 times within the past year