Clio Logo
Sturgeon Bay Third Avenue Historic District Tour - Part 1
Item 10 of 20
This is a contributing entry for Sturgeon Bay Third Avenue Historic District Tour - Part 1 and only appears as part of that tour.Learn More.
MERCHANTS EXCHANGE BANK, 1908

  • Current building.
  • Source: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI49698
  • Source: https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Property/HI49698

The Merchants Exchange Bank was founded in 1881 and its first building was located on another site. This building was built in 1908. The bank failed in the depression of the 1930s. This two-story, pressed brick (rust-brown) building has been extensively and sympathetically rehabilitated by the present owners and, for this reason, is an excellent example of a typical, turn-of-the-century bank building --solid and conservative. The late Classical Revival style shown in the detailing of the modillioned, limestone cornice and terra cotta frieze at the parapet, and the carved limestone of the entry surround, highlight this visually prominent corner building.1

1. https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NRHP/83004282_text