Casper Wyoming Heritage Trail
This trail is a work in progress... please check back soon.
The Tate Geological Museum is located on the Casper College Campus in Casper, Wyoming. It was founded in 1980 with a gift from Marion and Inez Tate. It was originally named the Tate Earth Science Center and Mineralogical Museum but it was decided that the term 'geological' covers earth science, mineralogy, and paleontology so the current name was adopted.
Between 1930-1987, this was the site of the Casper Armory, a facility occupied by the Headquarters Troop of the 115th Cavalry Regiment of the National Guard. The site consists of the historical marker and a brick monument with a bronze model of the armory on top. The armory was a rather large building; it had an indoor field where horses and guardsmen and women trained, horse stalls, a blacksmith shop, a wagon shop, and an equipment room. The second level had a hayloft, a viewing area, and a ballroom. The city demolished the building in 1987 to facilitate better traffic access to Casper College.
The Werner Wildlife Museum is operated by Casper College and is located near the campus. The building was constructed in 1964 by Herman Werner, who wanted a place to house his trophy collection. He donated the building and collection to Casper College in 1970. The museum focuses primarily on Wyoming wildlife but also has animals from around the world. The collection grew from 36 specimens to almost 400. The museum serves as a resource center and is available to use as a multi-purpose classroom for various education programs. Guided tours are available by appointment.
Founded in 1921 during an oil boom, the Grant Street Grocery and Market is a historic store situated in a residential area in Casper. Ever since its opening, it has maintained its neighborhood market feel. In terms of architecture, the building exhibits an early 20th-century commercial design. While successive owners have made some changes to the building (such as expanding the back of the store), the front facade on Grant Avenue has remained largely unchanged from its original appearance and the store retains many of its original fixtures. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.
Constructed in 1907, the Bishop House is a historic home in Casper, Wyoming. It was built Marvin Bishop, who was an important figure in the city's early development, and designed by Elias N. Miller in the Colonial Revival style. The house is now owned and operated by the Cadoma Foundation, which is dedicated to preserving historic places in Wyoming. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. Today, the foundation hosts several events at the house including tea gatherings.
The Nicolaysen Art Museum is located in Casper, Wyoming. It is housed in an old power station that was built in 1924. It has over 7,000 square feet of space for exhibit galleries and educational programming. It contains over 6,000 art objects, including paintings, photographs, sculptures, and prints. The museum's collection focuses on contemporary art of the Rocky Mountain region, the only museum in the state to do so. In addition to its educational programming, the museum holds an art festival each year and live music concerts on Wednesday nights. It is one of six Wyoming museums to be accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.
Built in 1920, Saint Anthony of Padua Church (also known as the Church of Saint Anthony) is significant as a fine example Romanesque Revival architecture. Local architect Arthur M. Garbutt, who led a firm in Casper that designed many buildings in the early 20th century, designed the church with semi-circular arched windows, a bell tower, decorative brickwork, and other elements. The tower resembles those found in Italy as evidenced by its square shape, arched windows, and tile roof. The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
Erected in 1921, the former Casper Fire Department Station No. 1 is a historic fire station that was constructed at a time when the city was rapidly expanding. The leading local architecture firm Garbutt, Weidner and Sweeney designed it in the Late Gothic Revival style with decorative terra cotta and other ornamental features. The building was added to the National register of Historic Places in 1993. Today, it is home to an architecture firm.
The Casper Planetarium was founded in 1966 and offers a variety of educational and entertainment programming about astronomy. When it opened, the planetarium had what was then a state-of-the-art projector called the art Spitz star machine. This operated until 2006, when it was decided, after the planetarium's 40th anniversary, that a new one was needed. The new Konica-Minolta Mediaglobe was installed soon after thanks the support of two education foundations. It was the world's first all dome, color, and single projector planetarium system.
Opened in 2002, the National Historic Trails Interpretive Center is dedicated to preserving and promoting the history of the historic trails that led settlers into the West. Through its exhibits and educational programs, the Center's mission is to enhance the understanding of Western expansion. The permanent exhibits explore the Oregon Trail, the California Trail, the Mormon Pioneer Trail, and the Pony Express Trail (the mail service where horse riders delivered mail and other items to the west and back). The exhibits feature hands-on activities and multi-media programs. Another highlight is the "The Pony Express" statue located outside which depicts two Pony Express riders, one of whom is riding a horse and the other standing next to his horse.