The Hotel De Paris Museum was once a bustling restaurant and hotel that brought a little bit of French culture to Georgetown. It was built, overtime, by Frenchman Louis Dupuy beginning in 1873 (it was actually a bakery and he expanded it in the coming years). He offered fine wines and French cuisine, and had olive oil from France as well as oysters, anchovies and other delicacies shipped to the hotel. He himself was a learned man: he was fluent in English, German and Latin, read prolifically, and had his own library in the building, where he also lived. The museum opened in 1954. The building is a site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
The Argo Mine, at that time of its completion in 1970 after 17 years of excavation, was the longest and deepest in the world. It was about twelve feet in diameter, reached a depth of 1,300 feet and was 4.16 miles long. Its purpose was to not only access gold ore but to also drain and ventilate other mines that it passed under. The other mines were also able to transport gold ore by way of the Argo mine. The Argo mine produced $100 million of gold during its lifetime, a remarkable feat considering that an ounce of gold was worth $18-35 dollars. Today, the mine is a big tourist destination, attracting people from all over the country and world. Its size and impact on the local economy warranted its placement on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.