Marvin Methodist Episcopal Church
The Gothic style church building belongs to the first organized church congregation in Tyler: The Methodist Episcopal Church South. They constructed this elaborately-adorned church building in 1890, and named themselves after the Bishop Enoch Mather Marvin, a Confederate Army chaplain who had visited Tyler after the Civil War. Today, the church building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well as considered a Texas Historic Landmark.
Backstory and Context
During these pioneer days circuit preachers would come to visit the multi-denominational churches. The Methodist Episcopal Church formed in 1849 becoming the first organized congregation in the area. The construction of the church building began in 1890. The completed church featured a Gothic-style architecture with elaborate brickwork and stained glass windows. It locally became known as the "Cathedral of the West."
In 1891 the church decided to name itself after Bishop Enoch Mather Marvin, a Confederate Army chaplain who had visited Tyler after the Civil War. The Marvin United Methodist Church still operates today, and the building is listed on the Register of Historic Places as well as is considered a Texas Historic Landmark.
"Places of Worship." City of Tyler. Accessed July 19, 2015. http://www.cityoftyler.org/Departments/HistoricPreservation/LandmarksandNationalDistricts/PlacesofWo...
Williams, Diane E. "Marvin Methodist Episcopal Church." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 15, 2000. https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/NR/pdfs/00001385/00001385.pdf
Photo: "MarvinMethodistChurch1" by Renelibrary - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 via Wikimedia Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:MarvinMethodistChurch1.JPG#/media/File:MarvinMethodistChurch...