Inland Steel Building
Completed in 1958, the Inland Steel Building was the first modern glass skyscraper erected in downtown Chicago since 1934, during the interwar period. Built with dynamic stainless steel and glass curtain walls, Miesian-inspired exposed structural frame and unobstructed office floors, the Inland Steel Building demonstrated the significant gains made during the war and post-war years and represented a new boom in Chicago skyscraper construction. Meanwhile, the name points to the building's occupant, Inland Steel, reminding us of a time when the American steel industry flourished.
Backstory and Context
The American steel industry declined steadily during the 1960s and into the 1970s, but Inland Steel did not suffer as many other steel companies had done. By the late 1990s, Inland Steel was seen as a smart buy; it was purchased by Ispat International in 1998.
To look at the tower is to look at the once flourishing steel industry and its influence on America. The building also demonstrates modern construction, as well as a 20th-century need for large headquarters, something that has changed with the technological advances of the 21st century.
"Inland Steel." Chicago Architecture Foundation. architecture.org. Accessed July 27, 2017. http://www.architecture.org/architecture-chicago/buildings-of-chicago/building/inland-steel/.
Johnson, Allen and Emily Ramsey. "Nomination Form: Inland Steel Building." National Register of HIstoric Places. August, 2002. https://ia801608.us.archive.org/10/items/NationalRegisterNominationsForChicago/InlandSteelBuildingNr....
Keyes, Jonathan. "Inland Steel." Encyclopedia of Chicago. chicaoghistory.org. Accessed July 27, 2017. http://www.encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/642.html