Granny Richardson Springs One Room Schoolhouse
With a campus and facilities as large as EKU’s, it’s hard to imagine going back to one-room schoolhouse days. The very first graduates of Eastern were teachers, and they may have went on to teach in a rural school like the Granny Richardson Springs One Room Schoolhouse. The schoolhouse was originally built in 1900 in Estill County with 31 students enrolled in its first year. It closed in 1964 with only three students. The schoolhouse was moved to Eastern in 1976 after being donated by the heirs of the late Eli Sparks and furnished by the Lee County Board of Education. It was renovated in 2008 and hosted tours and even a few education classes as late as 2016.
Granny Richardson Springs Schoolhouse, 1960s. EKU Photo Collection.
The interior of the schoolhouse, 1960s. EKU Photo Collection.