Boston Store (Erie, PA)
Boston Store as it looks today
Famed clock in Boston Store
1960s photo of the interior of Boston Store employees preparing for Christmas season
Exterior of Boston Store in 1960s
Backstory and Context
In 1929, a new Boston Store was designed by the Erie-architectural firm Shutts & Morrison. The new store was completed in 1931 and was estimated to have cost $2 million. From 1949 to 1953, renovations and expansion of the Boston Store were carried out by the local architectural firm Myers & Krider. The three-story portion of the Boston Store facing Peach Street was raised to six in 1949; the three-story structure on 8th Street was demolished and replaced with a five-story one the next year. Escalators were installed on first through fifth floors in 1953.
The Boston Store was bought by Associated Dry Goods in 1959. Management of the Boston Store was assumed by Home's department store of Pittsburgh in December 1975. Because of the loss of sales caused by competition from the Millcreek Mall in nearby Millcreek Township, the Boston Store was closed on July 7, 1979.
The Boston Store was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 24, 1996. The upper five floors were renovated into 125 apartments. The radio stations WFNN, WJET, WRKT, and WRTS broadcast from the building. A restaurant was opened on September 22, 2008 on the ground floor of the Boston Store, but closed in December 2013. UPMC Health Plan moved into a 7,600-square-foot space on the first floor in early 2011.