Central Methodist Episcopal Church
Backstory and Context
The cornerstone was laid in 1889, and the building was completed in 1890. Elijah Myers served as the main architect while Israel Gillett was the supervising architect. The builder was H.W. Coddington. The building’s final cost was $34,030. With the addition of stained glass windows, lighting and other furnishings the total cost was $41,842.
There have been additions, added touches and a name change to Central United Methodist Church through the years. A Moeller Pipe Organ was added in 1921. An illuminated cross was added to the top of the building in 1922. A separate chapel was added in 1942. This chapel features artwork reminiscent of old European churches. A carillon with 36 bells came along in 1951.
A parsonage was added along with several renovations and redecorations to the original sanctuary through the years. Today the church also has a library that includes more than 5,000 books.