Old Clock at Zion's First National Bank
Old Clock at Zion's First National Bank as it looks today
Old Clock at Zion's First National Bank in 1912, after it received some new gears.
This is the earliest known photo of the Old Clock, taken between 1873-1880. The building behind the clock was the old Eagle Emporium mercantile store. Years later the building would be added onto and become Zion's First National Bank.
Backstory and Context
Originally installed within 30 feet of this site, the clock continues to withstand the test of time. A diversion from City Creek, which ran down Main Street, originally drove a water wheel that operated the clock. Later, the clock kept time with springs and wet cell batteries. By 1912, the original gears had been replaced and the clock was connected to the new electricity system in the bank. In 2007, the clockworks was rewired and restructured. Old paint was sandblasted off the ironwork, and the surface was refinished.