Clio Logo
Lincoln Memorial University Historic Walking Tour
Item 5 of 20

The Lincoln Memorial University President's House was built in 1913, and was the gift of a donor. The pillars that now adorn the home were original to Norton Hall, a residence hall for girls that was built in 1912 and deconstructed in 1975.


  • The President's House as it appears today.

The LMU President's Home actually combines two former buildings that have stood on Lincoln Memorial University's campus. The original President's Home did not include the pillars that now appear on the home. The pillars came from Norton Hall, a residence hall for girls that was built in 1912. It stood on the ground where the Museum exists today.

Norton Hall stood on the campus until 1975. For many of those years, it also housed the university's dining facilities. The home was also briefly converted into an infirmary during the 1924 typhoid epidemic that struck the campus. 

The President's Home has served each LMU President since 1913. Variously through the years, it has served as both a living area for the current president and as university offices for the President and his/her staff.

Sweet, Natalie. Images of America: Harrogate and Cumberland Gap. Charleston, South Carolina. Arcadia Publishing, 2014.