DuPont Historic Village Walking Tour
Visit the historic spots in the DuPont Village
The building was constructed in 1910 and the Carsten’s Meat Market operated there until 1951. After the closure of the market the building was repurposed as the town’s first city hall. With the closure of the DuPont Powderworks in 1976, residents wanted a way to preserve the history the company had built in the town. City Hall moved to a new building, leaving the old one vacant. The city decided to repurpose the building again, leading to the opening of the DuPont Museum in 1977.
This park was named for Mayor John Iafrati and his wife Ruth. The couple made numerous contributions to the community, and John served two terms as mayor from 1969 to 1972 and 1976 to 1979. The Park is located on 120 Barksdale Ave in front of the DuPont Company Managers' house. In 1866, the first school building in DuPont opened on land within current Iafrati Park. There is a stone monument dedicated to the school as well as a picnic area in the park.
The first homes in the town of DuPont were built in 1909 were for the manager and assistant manager at the entrance of the town. Both are 3 stories high and are currently private residences.
This building has gone through many changes in its over 100 years of history. It started out as a general store for the community. This was a favorite spot for many in the community for several years. It also served as DuPont’s city hall for a short period before becoming a community center.
The presbyterian church is the only church building in the city of DuPont. It was built in 1917 after a few years of fundraising by a group known as the King’s Daughters. In front of the church is a monument dedicated to each DuPont resident who served in World War 2.
This was the first sanctioned park in DuPont, being opened in 1981. This is one of the largest parks in DuPont and has been a gathering place for the community. Sellers Lake lies in the park.
Built in the early days of the town, the hotel served as housing for many single employees who lived outside of DuPont. The clubhouse served as a neighborhood gathering spot for nearly 50 years, having a bowling alley and a kitchen/bar. Today a private home occupies the lot they stood on.
Named after longtime resident Ethel Lumsdon. This park was recently redone with new equipment.
Currently used as DuPont’s Public works facility as of writing, this building was built to house the towns fire department in the 1950s. It was used as the fire station until 2008 when the new station was built in Northwest Landing.
Next to the DuPont Museum is a Narrow Gauge train used by the DuPont Company. The train was used to transport dynamite to and from the plant and the wharf. After the closure of the plant, the Plymouth engine was stored on Ft. Lewis while a canopy was built by the museum. Former Sen. Mike Carrell (2004-2012) played a pivotal role in raising the money for the canopy.