Danville Museum of Fine Arts & History
The Danville Museum of Fine Arts & History is located in the Sutherlin Mansion on Millionaires Row in Danville, Virginia. Built for William T. Sutherlin in 1859, the house has become well known as the "Last Capital of the Confederacy." It served in this capacity from April 3 until 10, 1865, just weeks before the Civil War came to an end. In 1974, the house was opened as a Fine Arts & History Museum.
Backstory and Context
The Sutherlin Mansion was built on a four acre plot in 1895 for Major T. William Sutherlin. Near the end of the Civil War it became clear to the Confederacy that they could no longer hold Richmond, their capitol. The President was moved to the Sutherlin Mansion to continue his duties. It was at the Sutherlin Mansion that President of the Confederacy Jefferson Davis learned of the Confederate surrender at Appomattox. Along with its rich historical history, the mansion's exterior is also an example of a typical Italianate Villa style in Virginia. The interior of the building no longer resembles the 1895 version of the building.
Along with the Mansion, the Museum also promotes both antique and modern art of the area. The Museum hosts rotating exhibits on a quarterly basis. Their permanent collection includes art from the area as well as art that was collected by prominent historical figures, such as Miss Mabel Kennedy the Dean of Stratford College.