Lyons walking tour
Lyons walking tour
The Montgomery Home is a one-story house that was built in the 1880s. It was built by Lyons stonemasons using locally quarried sandstone. The Montgomery Home continues to be a private residence, as it has been since it was originally built. This home is not open to the public, please view from the road.
The Cunningham/Weese Home at 413 Seward Street was built as a private residence in the 1890s. The beautiful home combines skilled craftsmanship and Lyons sandstone. The home is currently a private residence and is not open to the public. Please view from the street.
The Chisholm Home is one of three historic residences on Seward Street that are still standing. It was built in the 1890s by the Chisholm family. The historical integrity of the home has been maintained by its owners. The Chisholm Home is currently a private residence.
The Ralston Brothers Antique store was originally The Stone House and was built in 1884. The town founders used it for many purposes including a general store, a post office, and a surveyors office.
This small sandstone building was constructed in 1890. It was once used to store dynamite for the quarry workers. It was a part of the town's economic boom.
The church was built in 1894 using locally quarried sandstone. It was the first permanent church in the Lyons townsite. Services are still held every Sunday.
The 1881 sandstone building was one of the original structures in the Lyons townsite. It was originally a schoolhouse and currently houses the Lyons Redstone Museum.
The twentieth-century sandstone structure was named after banker Marvin Turner and garage owner C.E Stevens. It was originally built to be a bank but has housed many businesses over the years.
The McAllister Saloon was one of the first structures built along what is now Main Street. It is a single-story building that was constructed by Hiram Sawyer in 1881.
This two-story sandstone building was constructed as a commercial and residential space on Main Street. It has several common features of nineteenth-century commercial architecture and has been the location of several businesses throughout Lyons history.
The Train Depot was built in 1885 and is a standard design for a nineteenth-century train depot. The introduction of a train line boosted the town’s economy.
Sites Milkhouse was built by William Sites, who was one of the first farmers of the St. Vrain Valley. He used this building to store dairy products. This building is on private property and is not open to the public. Please view from the road.
The Bradford Homestead was built in the late nineteenth century by Charles Bradford. He turned the land into a farm, which was one of his many money-making ventures. The building is currently on private property an is not open to the public. Please view from the road or from the Lyons Dog Park.
The Montgomery Schoolhouse was built in 1917 and sits at the edge of town on private property. It is not within easy walking distance, but with a short drive you can view the structure. The building is a private residence and is not open to the public. Please view the building from the street.
The Ryssby Church is located outside of Longmont in Boulder County, Colorado. The church was built in 1882 by Swedish immigrants, although it was disused between 1914 and 1924. A dedicated committee from First Lutheran Church, the descendant congregation of the Ryssby and Elim churches, maintains the church, organizes events and funds continuous improvement projects. The church hosts weddings, church picnics, an annual Midsummer service and Christmas candlelight services in early December.