Garland County Courthouse
Considered the finest example of Renaissance Revival architecture in Arkansas, the Garland County Courthouse has served as the seat of county government since it was built around 1905. The exterior features many decorative elements including a domed lantern on the roof with Ionic columns, arched windows on the third story with keystones, pedimented windows on the second floor, and a central bay with Ionic pilasters (columns) and a large pediment. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The Garland County Courthouse was built around 1905 and is an excellent example of Renaissance Revival architecture.
Backstory and Context
Garland County was established in 1873. The county government first met in a store on Central Avenue and then in several locations. In 1879, it started to meet in City Hall and remained there until 1882 when it moved to a house. A fire destroyed the house in 1888 but it was rebuilt only to burn down again in 1905. To avoid another fire, the present courthouse was built and it included fireproof vaults. Unfortunately, the Hot Springs Fire of 1913 significantly damaged the building but the masonry-concrete frame remained intact, allowing for the courthouse to be rebuilt. Additions were built in 1930 and 1977.
Hendricks, Nancy. "Garland County Courthouse." Encyclopedia of Arkansas. Last Updated September 27, 2016. https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/garland-county-courthouse-7953.
Shinn, Mike et al. "Garland County Courthouse." National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. December 6, 1979. https://www.arkansasheritage.com/docs/default-source/national-registry/GA0021-pdf.
Brandon Rush, via Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Garland_County_Courthouse_003.jpg