This historic photograph show the interior of the building at mid-century
Broderick Tower was completely empty during for several decades. This photo shows the building at a time when there were no tenants
Whale mural on the side of the Broderick, completed in 1997 by artist Rober Wayland and a Detroit icon
Backstory and Context
The tower was renamed to the Broderick in 1944 when it came under new ownership. On the ground level, the Blazing Embers restaurant opened in the early 1950s and quickly became a Detroit institution.
However, through the 1970s, more and more tenants began moving out as Detroit's businesses suffered, and the building started to show its age. By 1985, it was completely vacant except for the Blazing Embers, which then closed in 1993. Various deals to renovate the space fell through over the next two decades.
Finally, in 2010, funding was secured to renovate the Broderick Tower into apartments. This was partly thanks to the resurgence of the area after the opening of the new Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers, just next to the tower. Both the exterior limestone and much of the original historic interior were restored at a cost of $50 million. 100% of the 125 new apartments were leased before the grand reopening in November 2012.2