Historic Athens, Ga: Home of the Bulldogs
This tour highlights some of the most iconic architecture and landmarks around Athens, a must-see city!
Built in 1863, the Double-Barreled Cannon is the only one of its kind in Georgia, and the country. It was designed to be a game changing weapon during the Civil War. Unfortunately, the cannon never worked properly and the double-barreled cannon was retired before it ever saw battle. It has resided in Athens for well over a century.
Stegeman Coliseum was built in 1964, it was formally named Georgia Coliseum until it was renamed in 1996 to dedicate Coach Herman James Stegeman for his many contributions to the athletics at The University of Georgia from 1919-1939. Stegeman Coliseum was built at a cost of $4.2 million. It was built to accommodate basketball, commencement ceremonies, and agriculture. It is now home to 3 sports, which include Men's and Women's Basketball, Women's Gymnastics, and Volleyball.
This historic cemetery was founded in 1856 as a replacement burial ground from the existing Historic Jackson Street Cemetery. This site is the resting place of many notable Athenians and Georgians. Located next to Sanford Stadium and the University of Georgia Athens campus, this site contains elaborate Victorian Style funerary markers and mausoleums that have withstood the test of time. This cemetery was designed following the Rural Cemetery Model and encompasses 99 acres. Also on the cemetery grounds is the historic Sexton House, the George E. King Iron Truss bridge which was constructed in 1899 that links the older section of the cemetery to the newer section across the river and a well house build by the Bisson family of granite from their own quarry.
Sanford Stadium, named after Dr. Steadman V. Sanford, is the current home of the Georgia Bulldogs Football team. The stadium has a capacity of over 90,000 seats and has been standing since it was erected in 1929. Sanford Stadium sits in the middle of the University of Georgia campus and draws enormous crowds every football season. Since its completion, the University of Georgia's Football program has grown tremendously and is now one of the most prominent collegiate teams in the country.
In Athens, Georgia lies one of the most famous trees in the world, the Tree that Owns Itself. With what started as one man's love and appreciation of nature, blossomed into a tree that is not only loved by locals, but people all across the world. Although the original tree was struck down by a thunderstorm, a tree that was planted with acorns from the original tree still stands in the same spot. The tree is now cared for by the Junior Ladies Garden Club.
The Georgia Theatre is a music venue in downtown Athens Georgia, located at 215 North Lumpkin Street. They describe themselves as a “great place to see a show, have a sandwich, see a view, meet friends, and get your Athens on” on their Facebook page. The venue hosts a variety of musical acts from many different genres and is a huge part of Athens’ music scene.
This historical marker was dedicated in 1991 and commemorates the location of the first intercollegiate football game in Georgia. The game pitted an apparently overmatched squad from Mercer College against the state university team which prevailed by a score of fifty to zero in an era when forward passes were illegal and games were typically low scoring affairs. The game was played on January 30, 1892, and was witnessed by several hundred spectators, a far cry from today's games by members of the Southeastern Conference. All of Georgia's home games were played at Herty Field until 1911. The field was named after chemistry professor Dr. Charles H Herty who served as the coach and trainer after completing his duties in the laboratory and classroom.
This is the University of Georgia Arch, which was built in 1857. Originally, it was part of an iron fence that wrapped around what we now know as North Campus. Athens Steam Company, housed in what’s known today as the Foundry, supplied the iron railing. Athens Steam Company used a mix of free and slave labor during the time of the Arch’s construction, so it is likely that slaves contributed to building the Arch and the surrounding fencing. As of 1850, the University of Georgia had about 9 teachers, fewer than 120 students, and a much smaller budget than the university of today: UGA sold its botanical garden to afford the new fencing.