The exterior of the City Hall building with the Andrew Jackson statue
The interior of City Hall
Backstory and Context
When construction began in 1846, architect William Gibbons planned a two-story government building, but soon plans were amended to add a third-story to be used by the local Masonic Temple. Shortly after construction was completed in 1847, a ball was held in the building to honor the Mississippi Rifles, veterans of the Mexican War led by Jefferson Davis.
During the Civil War, the building served as a hospital; following the war, the building was one of the few remaining structures in Jackson.
The City Hall building was renovated in 1953 and again in 1963. Records of the 1953 renovation are unclear about the details of the work; the 1963 project dealt completely with the building's interior.
In 1972, a statue of Andrew Jackson was erected in front of the building, though as of summer 2020 it is scheduled for removal and will likely be relocated to a museum. However, as of November 2020, no definite plans had been settled upon.
Mississippi SP City Hall, National Archives Catalog. November 25th 1969. Accessed December 11th 2020. https://catalog.archives.gov/id/73891311.
Vicory, Justin. Jackson City Council votes to remove Andrew Jackson statue, Clarion Ledger. July 8th 2020. Accessed December 11th 2020. https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2020/07/07/andrew-jackson-statue-mississippi-to-be-removed/5394536002/.
Warren, Anthony. Future of Andrew Jackson statue still uncertain, months after council voted to move it, WLBT News. November 5th 2020. Accessed December 11th 2020. https://www.wlbt.com/2020/11/05/future-andrew-jackson-statue-still-uncertain-months-after-council-voted-move-it/.