USS LST 393 Veterans Museum
At the Mart Dock in Muskegon, painted in "D-Day Gray"
Painted in camouflage
In Europe around 1944
Men at work in the engine room
LST 393 around 1945
Inside the museum
Movies on Deck, one of the museum's many programs
Backstory and Context
The LST 393 was launched on November 11, 1942. The ship participated in three
invasions in Europe, at Sicily, Salerno, and Omaha Beach at Normandy. It made
75 voyages to foreign shores, including 30 to the beaches of Normandy.2
It was there on the D-Day invasion of June 6, 1944, and the museum still has
the flag that was flown that day. The LST 393 was later reassigned to the US's operations in the Pacific and painted tropical green camo, but the war ended before it could leave for Japan.3
After the end of the war, the LST became a
merchant ship renamed the MV Highway 16. It carried cars across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee until 1973. A group of dedicated military history buffs raised the funds to have the ship moved back to Muskegon and extensively renovated. Today the LST 393 is a museum with numerous events and programs, including a D-Day Commemoration Ceremony and a Veterans' Job Fair. In the summer, movies are shown on a projector on the deck to the public.